The saga continues. Sweet Thing is as excited about this trip as I am. There is so much to see in Vietnam, most of which I could not even think of when last there ... mid-June until mid-July 2010. When I was last there the mercury crept well up into the 40's and it was very humid. Now it runs in the late teens to early twenties ... perfect ST weather. She is pleased about only having to pack summer clothes. She found the carrying of multi-season clothing to Europe for 4 weeks was a nuisance.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Nice start to day 3(4) in Ho Chi Minh

We were both awake very early, probably partially due to our 90 minute cat nap yesterday before dinner. Did I tell you how lovely the Sweet Thing has looked all week? What else is new? Today started with omlettes in the buffet with some scrumptious coffee. We will meet Binh and the driver at 9AM in the lobby to drive to the Cu Chi tunnels. We are looking forward to finding out some history of this site. We are not sure if the Vietcong or the US used these tunnels to traverse the south during the war.

This afternoon will be a combination of wandering around the markets and hanging maybe by the pool. I found some football shirts here for $8, even cheaper than they were in Addis Abeba. As if I need more shirts ... I cannot turn them down for such a price. It's interesting how "small things amuse small minds"; I got a few zippered small bags no bigger than a folded five dollar bill to keep my collapsible reading glasses. The secret to their convenience is carrying them around in a pants pocket as I usually wear tops (t-shirts) with no pockets. These containers are less bulky than the ones they came with. Our flight tomorrow is 11'ish and we will leave for the airport about 9'ish or whenever told by the front desk. It has been a whirlwind of touring in HCMC ... the most common site being the ever-present pagodas (or "pagodoht" in Hebrew :)).

We will be met in Da Nang by a driver who will do a tour of the area including lunch, then we will head off to the hotel in Hoi An where we will park ourselves until Tuesday. I tried getting to Facebook for picture uploads and it appears that the site is blocked in Vietnam. By surfing the web I was unable to ascertain whether that is indeed true as there are conflicting hits on the topic. It is much cooler today than it has been so far all week. The thunderstorms forecasted as a possibility yesterday did not materialize.

No comments:

Post a Comment