The saga continues. Sweet Thing is as excited about this trip as I am. There is so much to see in Vietnam, most of which I could not even think of when last there ... mid-June until mid-July 2010. When I was last there the mercury crept well up into the 40's and it was very humid. Now it runs in the late teens to early twenties ... perfect ST weather. She is pleased about only having to pack summer clothes. She found the carrying of multi-season clothing to Europe for 4 weeks was a nuisance.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A new experience

I split from the office last night a little later than usual as I was rushing to finish some diagrams for one of my deliverables. I got back to the Silver, changed, and camped out in my office (the table and chairs on the patio out front). At some time a bit later, the boys (Bien and Truong) appeared and we sipped Bia Hanoi and munched on peanuts for a while. A woman named Rose showed up then another lady named Qunyh. Rose was kind enough to invite me to join them for dinner. We ended up around the corner at a local traditional spot I had been to once with Junie and once on my own. Then the extravaganza began.

I appreciated their dragging me along, but finally found out first hand the huge difference between westernized-Vietnamese food and the real McCoy. I passed on the dish that contained pig stomach and found some of the other fare "interesting". Rose ordered some Hue noddle soup which sounded like a plan to me, so I followed. Some garnish for the soup arrived and it looked like some form of noodles. I found out, after putting some in my soup and downing the first mouthful, that they were actually banana skins. That's what they tasted like banana skins and not noodles :). There was a jelly salad (also "interesting") and some weird tasting spices in my soup of which I downed about half (well maybe a third or a quarter).

This experience reminded me, interestingly enough, about my last meal on my own at this restaurant. The first few things I ordered the server talked me out of. She somehow managed to tell me that they were very strong and I would not like them. That must have been the nature of some of the food I tried to consume when there with the boys and the two ladies. Did you know that what we think is Vietnamese food is really a toned down version for the North American market :).

Point taken ... the company was GREAT, the food ...

No comments:

Post a Comment